Tom Flynn, 2012 Tournament Director of the Year Award Recipient
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) Central Pennsylvania Tennis District recently awarded Tom Flynn and Cheree Jones 2012 Industry Awards.
Tom Flynn received the 2012 Tournament Director of the Year Award for his extraordinary dedication to organizing and directing tennis tournaments for Special Olympics Pennsylvania over the past five years, serving as its Venue Coordinator for Summer Games.
Cheree Jones, 2012 President’s Choice Award recipient, stands with USTA Central PA District President, Denise Dunn.
Cheree Jones received the 2012 President’s Choice Award for her years of service as Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s (SOPA) Tennis Sports Director, and for her unusual and extraordinary service to tennis in the public interest. Some of Cheree’s 25 years of contributions to SOPA are:
- 1988-2012: Was a Special Olympics Pennsylvania Summer Games volunteer and coached Centre County athletes
- 2003- 2013: Served as SOPA’s Sport Director for Tennis
- 1990-1999: Was the Head Tennis Coach for the Centre County program, having started their tennis program in 1990
- 1999: Participated in the Special Olympics World Summer Games in North Carolina as a volunteer rater at the tennis venue
- Served as the local coach of two Special Olympics World Summer Games athletes in 1995 (Connecticut) and 1999 (North Carolina)